Joey Bonura – In the past three years there has been an explosion of new bars opening in Casco Viejo. It was hard to narrow this list down to the five best places but here it is:
1. Relic: This was one of the first bars to open that brought some nightlife into Casco. The bar is “underground” with half of it having a large outdoor terrace and half inside a “cave”. The vibe is casual and it’s usually a mix of backpackers and locals that go. Whenever I have friends visit it’s one of their favorite places.
2. Tantalo: This is a chic rooftop bar with an awesome view of the Panama City skyline. They always deliver good music and good times.
3. Espacio: My favorite place to go right now when I want to party! It’s in a once abandoned building in Casco Viejo and it still looks like that way. There’s no roof, it’s gritty, and you’ll find all walks of life at it. They play really good underground electro house music and there is no cover charge if you get there before 12.
4. Teatro Amador: This was once a theatre in Casco Viejo and it’s been beautifully restored to it’s former glory. Every Friday they host Late Night Music which features underground electronic music by local and international DJs.
5. Onplog: I like Onplog because it’s so different from any bar I have been to in Panama. The entrance is kind of hidden and the decor inside is really creative. It’s a great place to go for some beers and enjoy live music.
For more articles about Panama, check out my blog.